A candidate for election into this class shall produce evidence to the satisfaction of the Council:
- No persons shall be eligible as a Full Member who has not passed the examinations recognized by the Council - SIP Constitution Clause 7.1
- Every Full Member shall be more than twenty-one years of age and shall have acquired the following practical experience. - SIP Constitution Clause 7.1
- For a candidate possessing formal recognized planning qualifications and at least two years relevant practical experience in Town Planning in Singapore - SIP Constitution Clause 7.2.1
- Full Members shall be eligible for election to the Council, for election or appointment to all Offices of the Institute, and shall be entitled to all its rights and privileges, including voting at meetings - SIP Constitution Clause 7.3
- Applicants for election as Full Member of the Singapore Institute of Planners must fulfil academic AND professional urban planning work experience requirements, and other additional requirements for special cases, according to one of the following combinations:
- The lists of accredited degrees are available from the websites of the Royal Town Planning Institute or the American Planning Accreditation Board or the Planning Institute of Australia or the New Zealand Planning Institute or the Canadian Institute of Planners. Applicants who have graduated from programs that have been accredited previously, but that are no longer shown in the websites mentioned above, must produce evidence from the university or the relevant Institute/Board that their qualifications were accredited at the time of graduation.
- Applicants must have accumulated sufficient years of verifiable and substantive urban planning work experience. Teaching and research work in urban planning are also considered urban planning work experience. Work experience in architectural design, landscape design, engineering design or financial/economic analysis or a management capacity that does not involve evaluation of urban planning issues, are NOT considered relevant urban planning work experience. Work experience such as evaluating multiple school locations taking into account population pyramids, and the spatial distribution of population, site availability and conditions, safety and comfort considerations for the routes to the schools, etc or planning of an MRT line taking into consideration population and employment distribution, etc ARE considered planning work experience. Urban design work IS considered planning work experience - however, the work involved must not be narrowly focused on architectural design and must involve very substantial evaluation of public interest or a wide range of urban planning issues.
- Note: eligibility criteria are reviewed from time to time and are subject to changes.
- If you are already a SIP member and seeking transfer/conversion to higher class of membership, please login to the membership portal and apply via conversion.
- All applicants must carefully read the eligibility criteria and ensure that they are eligible.
- Complete the online application form.
- Relevant Work Experience: Provide clear descriptions of your urban planning work experience, your role and responsibilities and duration. Write sufficient and accurate details to enable your sponsors and the membership evaluation committee to see that you have accumulated sufficient work experience in urban planning. Remember to have your superior endorse and sign off before submitting your work experience/resume.
- Sponsors: Select sponsors and discuss with them about your planning work experience to enable sponsors to support your application and complete the online Sponsor Declaration. (This is a very important step in the membership application process as one of the key goal and benefits of the membership in the Institute is mentorship, mutual support and motivation.)
- For election as Full Member - Sponsors shall be three Voting Members of whom atleast one shall be a Fellow OR the President and one other member of the Voting Council
- Upon your election as a Full Member of the Institute, the SIP Secretariat will inform you and send you an invoice for the entrance fees and the first year's membership subscription.
- Upon receipt of payment, a welcome letter and membership certificate will be issued.